Performance Ethnography; Visual Ethnography; Performance Studies; Brazilian Culture and Cinema; Afro-Brazilian Culture and Dances of the Orixás; Translation Theory; Documentary Filmmaking and Film Theory
Peer-Reviewed Journal Articles
Porter, Laurelann. “Dancing in Idyll-Logical Spaces and Presence-ing Absences: A Critical Analysis of Two Performance Festivals in Itacaré, Bahia, Brazil Utilizing Santos’s Sociology of Absences as a Critical Lens.” Etudes: an Online Theatre & Performance Studies Journal for Emerging Scholars. May 2016.
Porter, Laurelann. “Why won’t you help me … shave my head? Critical autoethnography and understanding affective response to an act of critical vulnerability in solo performance.” Studia Dramatica, Special Issue: Spectator’s Body, Emotions & Empathy. (October 2015).
Porter, Laurelann. “Antromovimento: Developing a New Methodology for Theatre Anthropology.” Performance as Research: Knowledge, Methods, Impact. Editors: Annette Arlander, Bruce Barton, Melanie Dreyer-Lude, and Ben Spatz. (Routledge, 2018).
- Porter, Laurelann, Translator. “Histories of Differences and Inequalities Revisited: Notes on Gender, Slavery, Race, and Post-Emancipation” by Marcelo Paixão and Flavio Gomes. Black Women of Brazil in Slavery and Post-Emancipation. Xavier, Giovana, Barreto Farias, J, and Gomes, F., Eds. Diasporic Africa Press, 2017. São Paulo: Selo Negro, 2012.
- Uncredited. Editor/Translator. Black Women of Brazil in Slavery and Post-Emancipation. Xavier, Giovana, Barreto Farias, J, and Gomes, F., Eds. Diasporic Africa Press, 2017. São Paulo: Selo Negro, 2012.
- Uncredited. Editor/Translator. Freedom by a Thread: The History of Quilombos in Brazil. Reis, João José and Gomes, Flávio dos Santos, Eds. Campanhia das Letras, 1996. New York: Diasporic Africa Press, 2016.
SELECTED CONFERENCE PRESENTATIONS
- “Jack Colby, Cowboy Anthropologist as Trickster-Artist-Scholar: Narrating Intercultural Encounters,” General Panel, International Federation for Theatre Research, Belgrade, Serbia, July 2018
- “Empty Shoes: a performance excerpt of a new ethnodrama” co-presenter with Dr. Amy Funk. Workshop reading. International Congress of Qualitative Inquiry, Urbana-Champaign, May 2017
- “Centralizing the Margins in The Four Seasons of Ethnography: Honoring the Scholarship and Teaching of Amira De La Garza” group panel co-participant, annual conference for the Western States Communication Association, Salt Lake City, February 2017
- “Madame Paz de la Alma y Cuerpo, an Articulation and Embodiment of Diachronic Translation in a new Adaptation of Six Characters” Working Group Participant, American Society of Theatre Research, Minneapolis, MN, November 2016
- “Sentindo o Sabor da Matéria (Tasting the Meat)*: Translating the Flavor of the Cannibalist Manifesto” Performative Paper Presenter, Association for Theatre in Higher Education, Chicago, IL, August 2016
- “Singing Back the Gift of Refraction: Reflecting on the Results Given Back to Community after Ethnographic Fieldwork” Paper Presenter, International Congress of Qualitative Inquiry, Champaign-Urbana, IL, May 2016
- “Sympathy for Exú” Solo Performance Excerpt for competitively selected debut panel, National Communications Association conference, Las Vegas, NV, November 2015
- “Antropoloteatral: Developing a New Methodology for Theatre Anthropology” Paper Presenter, IFTR conference, Hyderabad, India, July 2015
- “Porta de Trás, Back Stage in Paradise, an Ethnography of Women in Rural Bahia” Paper Presenter, Brazilian Studies International BRASA conference, Champaign-Urbana, IL, August 2014
- “Towards a poetics and erotics of socially engaged performance” Panel Presenter, International Federation of Theatre Research IFTR 2014 World Congress, Warwick, England, UK, July 2014
- “Asking delicate questions: Reflections on ethics and methods utilized in dissertation fieldwork” Panel Presenter, Association for Theatre in Higher Education ATHE conference, Scottsdale, AZ, July 2014
- “KICKIR: Keeping it Critical, Keeping it Real” Session Coordinator Round Table Discussion on Solo Performance as practice-based research, ATHE conference, Scottsdale, AZ, July 2014
- “How Not to Make Love to a Woman” Solo Performance, American Society for Theatre Research ASTR conference, Dallas, TX, November 2013
- “Paying for Services Rendered: Examining the Nature of Charity in the Umbanda Religion” Panel Presenter, ATHE conference, Orlando, FL, August, 2013
- “Porous Boundaries/Bleeding Backward: Temporality and Epistemology in Filmed Representations of Spirit Possession in the Umbanda Religion” Panel Presenter, Performance Studies International PSi #19, Stanford University, Stanford, CA, June 2013
- “Porous Boundaries/Bleeding Backward: Religious Formations and Filmic Interpretations of Spirit Possession in the Umbanda Religion” Panel Presenter, XVI Conferencia de Literatura de Estudiantes Graduados de Español, Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ, February 2013
- “Women on Performative Display: Spirit possession of the Pomba Gira shadow entities in the Umbanda religion” Work Group Participant, ASTR conference, Nashville, TN, November 2012
- “Film constructions of sacred dance practices: a critical examination of two Brazilian ethnographic documentaries” Presenter, ATHE conference, Washington DC, August 2012.
- “Film constructions of sacred dance practices: a critical examination of two Brazilian ethnographic documentaries” – BRASA Brazilian Studies conference, Champaign-Urbana, IL, September, 2012.
- “Examining Popular Ethnography in Documentaries from Brazil” Presenter: Public Ethnography conference, Victoria, BC, Canada, June 2012.
- Current research project: Participant and Assistant to Curation for Graduate Student/ Emerging Scholars Session, No Passport Festival and conference, Tempe, AZ, April 2012
- “Constructing the Sacred: a Critical Examination of two Brazilian Ethnographic Documentaries” Presenter and Chair: NeMLA conference, Rochester, NY, March 2012.
- “Geopathology in XXY” Rocky Mountain MLA Converence, Scottsdale, AZ October, 2011. Link to paper on academia.edu.
- “Expendable Brazilians: Tropes of Elitism in ‘Tropa de Elite’” Presenter Global Studies Conference, Rio De Janeiro, Brazil, July 2011. Link to Paper on academia.edu.
- “Tropes of Elitism in ‘Tropa de Elite’” Presenter and Chair: NeMLA conference, New Brunswick, NJ, April 2011.
- “Invisibilities and Erasures in Chiquinha Gonzaga: Translating Across Time and Across Cultures” Presenter, Comparative Drama Conference, March 2011. Link to Paper on academia.edu.
- “Hope in the Favelas” Paper Presenter and Chair of the panel: “From the Favela to the Novela” NeMLA conference, Montreal, Canada, April 2010. Link to paper on academia.edu
- “Batman as Commodity” Presenter, NeMLA conference, Boston, MA February 2009
- “11 Women a Day” Presentation of Documentary in Progress, The Articulate Practitioner Conference sponsored by The Magdalena Project, Aberystwyth, Wales, July 2005
- “Passion Fruit” Performance, Performance as Public Practice Conference hosted by University of Texas at Austin, February 2004