Performance Ethnography; Visual Ethnography; Performance Studies; Brazilian Culture and Cinema; Afro-Brazilian Culture and Dances of the Orixás; Translation Theory; Documentary Filmmaking and Film Theory
Upcoming (stay tuned, currently finishing my dissertation)
- “Porta de Trás, Back Stage in Paradise, an Ethnography of Women in Rural Bahia” Paper Presenter, Brazilian Studies International BRASA conference, Champaign-Urbana, IL, August 2014
- “Towards a poetics and erotics of socially engaged performance” Panel Presenter, International Federation of Theatre Research IFTR 2014 World Congress, Warwick, England, UK, July 2014
- “Asking delicate questions: Reflections on ethics and methods utilized in dissertation fieldwork” Panel Presenter, Association for Theatre in Higher Education ATHE conference, Scottsdale, AZ, July 2014
- “KICKIR: Keeping it Critical, Keeping it Real” Session Coordinator Round Table Discussion on Solo Performance as practice-based research, ATHE conference, Scottsdale, AZ, July 2014
- “How Not to Make Love to a Woman” Solo Performance, American Society for Theatre Research ASTR conference, Dallas, TX, November 2013
- “Paying for Services Rendered: Examining the Nature of Charity in the Umbanda Religion” Panel Presenter, ATHE conference, Orlando, FL, August, 2013
- “Porous Boundaries/Bleeding Backward: Temporality and Epistemology in Filmed Representations of Spirit Possession in the Umbanda Religion” Panel Presenter, Performance Studies International PSi #19, Stanford University, Stanford, CA, June 2013
- “Porous Boundaries/Bleeding Backward: Religious Formations and Filmic Interpretations of Spirit Possession in the Umbanda Religion” Panel Presenter, XVI Conferencia de Literatura de Estudiantes Graduados de Español, Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ, February 2013
- “Women on Performative Display: Spirit possession of the Pomba Gira shadow entities in the Umbanda religion” Work Group Participant, ASTR conference, Nashville, TN, November 2012
- “Film constructions of sacred dance practices: a critical examination of two Brazilian ethnographic documentaries” Presenter, ATHE conference, Washington DC, August 2012.
- “Film constructions of sacred dance practices: a critical examination of two Brazilian ethnographic documentaries” – BRASA Brazilian Studies conference, Champaign-Urbana, IL, September, 2012.
- “Examining Popular Ethnography in Documentaries from Brazil” Presenter: Public Ethnography conference, Victoria, BC, Canada, June 2012.
- Current research project: Participant and Assistant to Curation for Graduate Student/ Emerging Scholars Session, No Passport Festival and conference, Tempe, AZ, April 2012
- “Constructing the Sacred: a Critical Examination of two Brazilian Ethnographic Documentaries” Presenter and Chair: NeMLA conference, Rochester, NY, March 2012.
- “Geopathology in XXY” Rocky Mountain MLA Converence, Scottsdale, AZ October, 2011. Link to paper on academia.edu.
- “Expendable Brazilians: Tropes of Elitism in ‘Tropa de Elite’” Presenter Global Studies Conference, Rio De Janeiro, Brazil, July 2011. Link to Paper on academia.edu.
- “Tropes of Elitism in ‘Tropa de Elite’” Presenter and Chair: NeMLA conference, New Brunswick, NJ, April 2011.
- “Invisibilities and Erasures in Chiquinha Gonzaga: Translating Across Time and Across Cultures” Presenter, Comparative Drama Conference, March 2011. Link to Paper on academia.edu.
- “Hope in the Favelas” Paper Presenter and Chair of the panel: “From the Favela to the Novela” NeMLA conference, Montreal, Canada, April 2010. Link to paper on academia.edu
- “Batman as Commodity” Presenter, NeMLA conference, Boston, MA February 2009
- “11 Women a Day” Presentation of Documentary in Progress, The Articulate Practitioner Conference sponsored by The Magdalena Project, Aberystwyth, Wales, July 2005
- “Passion Fruit” Performance, Performance as Public Practice Conference hosted by University of Texas at Austin, February 2004